Sunday, March 12, 2023

Lynx's 4th seizure

On Wednesday, March 8, Lynx had another seizure. This time, he turned blue and really struggled to breathe, and he didn't have a fever, so it was extra scary. Here's the whole story:

It was about 4:45 pm. I was in bed, reading a book and Lynx + Nova were  playing, running back-and-forth having a great time. Nova goes downstairs to get some OJ for them. He lays down next to me while I read. He's been doing that a lot because he is on amoxicillin for strep - when he's not feeling well, he snuggles me a alot.

 I didn't think much of it and then after while he's got the myoclonic jerks. "He's asleep, he must really be sick," I thought. So I am letting him sleep right but I hear the click sounds. I didn't know, but he was having a tough time breathing. To me, it felt + sounded like the normal myoclonic jerks and sounds of sleeping while congested.  Nova comes back up, I say, "Quiet I think he's sleeping. She said, "No, eyes open." 

I thought, "His eyes are open? That's weird because he wouldn't lay here quietly, and not respond to Nova when she returned to the room. So I turned look at him and then he's not responding to me. l said, "Lynx, Lynx." And he's just doing the thousand yard stare. He's drooling, he can't move. Then I pick him up and he can't really breathe right. I call for Lynn. Lynn doesn't hear me, so I send Nova to get him. Lynn came up and I gave him my phone. He called 911. 

Lynx's lips were blue his face was a dark gray. He was still struggling to breathe, but he was making sounds and still breathing a little bit.  So I was worried, for sure, but I knew he was getting some oxygen. 

I brought him outside, because I wanted the EMTs to get to him right away. While outside, he started breathing more normally, and his cheeks were pink again, his lips were a normal color. He stood up on his own and made eye contact, but he couldn't talk or follow directions yet.

Our service is terrible, so Lynn couldn't hear the dispatcher while we sat outside. So I brought Lynx into the sunroom where the dispatcher told us to lay Lynx on his side, and count how often he was breathing. According to our counting, he was doing fine. Phew. 

The EMTs arrived, checked his heart, gave him a glucose blood test, which came back normal. They said we really should bring him to the ER because he was blue for about 2 minutes, and because he doesn't have a fever. 

We were in the ER for about 5 hours. They did nothing for him, except take his blood and require that the IV stay in him in case he has another seizure. Which I understood, but the IV hurt him so much, and it wasn't giving him any fluid, so I really wished they had taken it out. I asked for orange juice four times...finally got some after about 2 hours of asking. But, his blood tests came back normal, and the ER doctor, Caleb, told us that the neurologist told him Lynx can go home. So, Lynn woke up Nova and picked us up around 10 pm. 

He was his usual self on the drive home that night. Acting silly, happy to see Nova. We got him, he had a piece of pizza, then slept. Oddly enough, he woke up at his usual time the next day, but was pretty tired all day, and Friday, too. 

I was supposed to go to Savannah this weekend, but just couldn't leave him under the circumstances. He spent a lot of time on Thursday and Friday in my lap, so I'm glad I stayed. 

Yesterday he was back to his usual energy level, and today he went to swimming lessons. We have a pediatric neurology appointment for May, so hoping for some answers then. 



No comments:

Post a Comment