Monday, January 13, 2020

Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year's - Oh My!

We have been SOOOOOO lucky to have been able to spend the holiday season with so many wonderful, loving friends and family.  I feel like our holidays could not have been any better (except I was sorry to miss out on my MN friends, of course!!!)

THANKSGIVING
Lynn's sister, Stuff, and her new wife, Holly visited us over Thanksgiving.  It was totally wonderful and I can't wait to see them again.

So that the newly weds could share a room, the kids got to share a bed for the first time in their lives. A few threats may have been uttered by their parents (If you don't go to bed, no TV tomorrow!) but eventually they fell asleep together.

And, I HAVE to chronicle the best bed-making job I have done in my life.



Holly had never been to DC before, so we took the whole gang to see the sights. 


Inevitable mayhem ensued, but everyone had a lot of fun. 








On Thanksgiving day, we all went to the zoo.  No photos are available - not sure why I didn't take any?? - but Steff and Holly graciously bought them these dinosaurs which CONTINUE to be favorites to this day (Jan. 13, 2020!!)

We also met up with friends to watch the Thanksgiving parade in downtown Silver Spring. 


And, Nova did a wonderful job in the Thanksgiving Pagaent/Concert.

I'm not completely sure what is going on here, but it looks like a few of my family members have been promoted to royalty?  Lynn has SO MUCH fun with them, and the feeling is reciprocated.


EARLY DECEMBER VISITOR...AUNTIE BRECK!



As an aside, I've been worried that Lynx's left shoulder is less developed than his right. I took some topless photos and videos to use as references for myself.  Well, I took him to a neurologist who specializes in this kind of thing, and she thought I was a crazy person. haha.  No problem, I'd rather be worried for nothing!



Auntie Breckie took the kids to Frozen II and they enjoyed it!  It was a little scary for Nova, but Lynx thought it was very exciting.  And, OF COURSE, both dressed as Elsa.



This was their idea, I swear!  All I could hear for about an hour were two pillow cases, giggling incessantly. 


CHRISTMAS IN...THE DESERT!?!

When we told Nova we were going to Tucson, AZ (the desert!) for Christmas, she asked, "Will there be camels?"  Sorry, babe, no camels.  But lots of cacti and cousins!!

But, before heading for AZ, we got to see Santa.  On a Firetruck.  In a parking lot.  A strange MD tradition, but the kids love it.








Is that enough luggage?


Santa was at the airport?  Lynx jumped out of the stroller, and ran right into his arms for a hug.  ZERO inhibitions.  Nova was NOT interested.

On the airplane!  Thanks to Katie for the harness!  And Usborne Books for the sticker book.

Grancy snuggles.

Dinosaur snuggles. 

 Grandpa trying to entertain Lynx while we wait for the raptors to fly by.  (Not the dinosaur variety!)





 Cousin Kaia!  


Making cookies with LOTS of sprinkles for Santa. 


Writing letters to Santa. 


"Do you have time for just one more hug, Kaia??" 




Christmas Dinner with this little Lion!

It's hard not to be overjoyed when you have ice cream while watching Santa on NORAD. 


A train of Rolfsruds!  







Flying home!

Santa had visited MD while we were in AZ! 





NEW YEAR'S EVE

Upon our return from Arizona, we hosted a friend of mine from grad school and her sweet little girl and wonderful husband.  Pictures were scarce, but here's one of our husbands on the swings.  




Santa brought them their own table, not realizing that now their MOM will be eating alone!! 


New Year's Eve shenanigans


NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS
My overall new year resolution for 2020 is to simplify things.  Simplify our routines, simplify our budget (aka, spend less on stuff), simplify our activities (do simple things outdoors for free), simplify our meals (eat healthier meals made from scratch),  simplify our home (declutter).  I'm feeling GREAT about these resolutions.  Here's how these goals have manifested so far:  

New Year's Day adventures in the woods!



To simplify our morning routine, I'm trying to get into the habit of setting everything out the night before.  also known as getting #readytoreset


To help simplify our budget, I am a member of a Buy Nothing group, where local people give and receive stuff for free. Lynx got this adorable Paw Patrol backpack, which he adores, for free.  And, I've given away a ton of stuff I don't need...helping to simplify our home.

To simplify our food, I'm making pouches of fruit smoothies from scratch.

Happy 2020!!



No comments:

Post a Comment